Soil & Water Conservation Society of Metro Halifax
Public Submissions: Routinely, we make submissions to various
consultation processes of the federal, provincial and municipal
governments and following are the more significant ones:
- Minister's Task Force on Clean Water, N.S. Dept. of Environment: 2
detailed submissions, 1990-91.
- Dartmouth City Council MPS hearings, 1991: Made presentation on the
need for Lake Stewardship.
- Dartmouth City Council, 1992: Written presentation asking for
restoration of Settle lake, perhaps the most culturally eutrophic of any
Metro lake (Council has not responded to date).
- Dartmouth City Council, 1992-93: A written submission on the need for
setting Lake Carrying Capacities, and prior to same to consult all Lake
Stakeholders, not just `Appointees' (Council has not responded to date).
- Planning Dept., City of Dartmouth, 1992: Promoting Lake Carrying
Capacity concepts (no reply to date).
- Planning Dept., City of Dartmouth, 1993: Request for setting Lake
Carrying Capacities (Director of Planning expressed their inability to do
- The Draft Nova Scotia Environment Act, N.S. Dept. of Environment:
15-20 submissions, most of them detailed, 1993-94.
- The Municipal Reform Act-1994, Law Amendments Committee: Requested
for inclusion of water quality initiatives.
- Bill No. 115, An Act to Reform the Environmental Laws of the Province
of Nova Scotia-1994, Law Amendments Committee: Made a detailed submission.
- Halifax County Council, 1994, Dt. 4 MPS: Need for Lake Carrying
- N.S. Dept. of Env., Dec. 1994: Made a 1-hr presentation on Lake
Management; meeting attended by the Water Resources Div., Policy &
Planning Div., as well as by a rep from County Eng.
- Halifax County Council, Jan. 1995, Dts. 1 & 3 MPS: Need to set Lake
Carrying Capacities after the Dorset model, and provided the scientific
- N.S. Dept. of Env., March 1995: Made a 11/2-hr presentation on Lake
Management and Lake Carrying Capacities; meeting well attended by reps
from the Water Resources Div., Dy. Minister's office, County Eng. &
Planning Depts., Bedford Planning Dept., Halifax City Council, and East
Hants Eng. Dept.
- The Clean Nova Scotia Foundation: Our rep made a written presentation
on a Solid Waste Management Strategy for Nova Scotia, and used his
expertise in aquatic toxicology to stress the problems associated with
so-called `wet landfills'.
- Halifax County PAC, 1995, Dt. 15, 18 & 19 MPS: Need to set Lake
Carrying Capacities, the Dorset model, and provided the scientific
- Halifax County PAC, 1995, Dts. 14 & 17 MPS: Need to set Lake
Carrying Capacities, the Dorset model, and provided international guidelines.
- Halifax County Planning Dept., May 1995: Made a 2-hr presentation on
the principles of Limnology and Lake Carrying Capacities.
- Halifax Metro municipal amalgamation bill-1995, Law Amendments
Committee: Made an impassioned plea to include provision of Lake
Carrying Capacities and a staff position of either a Limnologist or a
Certified Lake Manager.